A Facebook Pixel is a tool that you install into your website’s code. It helps measure metrics that can help you target a specific audience when creating ads for Facebook.
If you are currently or thinking of running advertisements on Facebook, the Facebook Pixel will be a valuable tool. Using the analytical data from it you can better target your advertisements and affect your ROI on them. Setting up a Pixel is fairly simple and even Facebook has their own guide on how to do this.
How to Get Your Facebook Pixel Code
- In your Facebook Business Manager click on the three lines on the top left.
- Under the Measure & Report column click on Pixels.
- On the new screen, click on + Add New Data Source and select Facebook Pixel.
- A new screen should pop up where you can type in a name for the Pixel and your Website URL.
- Once completed you will be taken to the main page of that Pixel where you can copy your Pixel ID in the top left hand corner.
How to Install It On Your Website
We’re going to use WordPress plugins to accomplish this since we primarily service customer websites running on WordPress.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to Plugins > Add New.
- In the search bar on the top right search for “Facebook Pixel”.
- The one we’ll be using is the Official Facebook Pixel plugin.
- Install and activate the plugin.
- In your WordPress dashboard go to Settings > Facebook Pixel.
- Enter your Pixel ID in the box and click on Save Changes.
- If you operate in the EU please take additional action to ensure GDPR compliance.
Once all this is done you can start tracking information about what kind of people visit your website. To be sure that you’ve done it correctly you can go back to the Pixel screen in your Facebook Business Manager and start seeing statistics populate (may take about a day if you actually have visitors to your site).